Tuesday 11 November 2008

The Fallen

Ninety years since the end of the first world war. It was a day off today and I heard the lads at tennis talk about the fact that this is the first time in France that there aren't any veterans from that particular conflict around at the commemorations.

That had to happen at one point. I've always been mightily impressed by the generations that went to war. Moreso because I tend to shy away from violence. But then I guess it was a different mentality at the time. Logic would have said you have to overcome those kind of inhibitions because an aggressor is at the door.

Anyway I won't dive into poetry. They were all heroes.

As for tennis practice. There might be an improvement on the service in the offing. It's all to do with the acceleration behind the head.

We shall see.

The trip to La Villette was joyous. We all cycled along the cycle paths and took coffee and hot chocolates at Cafe de La Musique. While we were sitting outside waiting for the drinks, the eldest saw one of her classmates and her mother.

They were going to see the Serge Gainsbourg exhibition at La Cite de La Musique and were getting ready to queue.

I looked at this woman and thought I have never seen her outside the school gates. And I think she was looking at me in the same way.

I was informed that she doesn't take the child to school. The kid goes on her own.

Independent stuff.

No comments: